[blindkid] music book

BillList1 billlist1 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 13:44:51 UTC 2017

More and more authors and publishers use music notation software to prepare
the print images of the musical excerpts in their books.  Dancing Dots has
software that can import music scores created in the MusicXML format and
make the information accessible to blind and low vision users.  It is
important to realize that a lot of material is still not digitized but the
adoption of MusicXML overall is some of the best news for us blind musicians
in recent memory.

For example, Dancing Dots is currently partnering with a local community
college and a major music publisher to provide a student with accessible
versions of the musical excerpts in his music theory book.  The publisher
has furnished MusicXML versions of each exercise in the book and the student
will be trained on how to learn to sing the melodies using our software.

Our Lime notation editor, can import MusicXML scores and present them using
our "Talking Score" feature.  We have other software components that can
automatically convert the scores in Lime  to the equivalent braille music
notation or to present it to a low vision reader using special magnification
and scrolling features.

Feel free to contact me directly off-list using my info at DancingDots.com
address.  You can read more about our accessible music notation editor at
the link below.  Note that if you do not have a license for the JAWS for
Windows screen reader, you can use our software with the free, 40-minute
demo version of JAWS.

www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm

Bill McCann
President