[blindkid] music book

Albert Rizzi Albert at Myblindspot.org
Sat Sep 16 14:21:01 UTC 2017

Dancing Dots is fantastic Heidi. Was going to speak to you about that when we hopped on the phone. Bill McCann is a good friend, colleague and helped My Blind Spot test QuickBooks and uses the program to manage his business now.

Here is the link to their website. I first met him and was introduced to his program at the Lighthouse Music Department here in NYC.

http://www.dancingdots.com/main/index.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: blindkid [mailto:blindkid-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of BillList1 via blindkid
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2017 9:45 AM
To: blindkid at nfbnet.org
Cc: BillList1 <billlist1 at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [blindkid] music book

More and more authors and publishers use music notation software to prepare the print images of the musical excerpts in their books.  Dancing Dots has software that can import music scores created in the MusicXML format and make the information accessible to blind and low vision users.  It is important to realize that a lot of material is still not digitized but the adoption of MusicXML overall is some of the best news for us blind musicians in recent memory.

For example, Dancing Dots is currently partnering with a local community college and a major music publisher to provide a student with accessible versions of the musical excerpts in his music theory book.  The publisher has furnished MusicXML versions of each exercise in the book and the student will be trained on how to learn to sing the melodies using our software.

Our Lime notation editor, can import MusicXML scores and present them using our "Talking Score" feature.  We have other software components that can automatically convert the scores in Lime  to the equivalent braille music notation or to present it to a low vision reader using special magnification and scrolling features.

Feel free to contact me directly off-list using my info at DancingDots.com address.  You can read more about our accessible music notation editor at the link below.  Note that if you do not have a license for the JAWS for Windows screen reader, you can use our software with the free, 40-minute demo version of JAWS.

www.dancingdots.com/prodesc/limealoud.htm

Bill McCann
President
Dancing Dots