[blindlaw] Need some assistance

Russell J. Thomas, Jr rjtlawfirm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 21:17:29 UTC 2008

I am not sure that we have all the facts.

When you say she is still receiving benefits, does that mean her workers
comp case is still open? If it is, any prospective employer's concern is
whether the condition will worsen; put another way, a prospective employer
is asking--what kind of liability am I buying.

The case is different if she is, what we call in California permanent and
stationary. That means she probably won't get any worse, and it means that
her workers comp case has been settled.

If that is true the issue is reasonable accommodation; after engaging in the
interactive process required under the ADA, is there a job she can do? If
she can work with reasonable accommodation and an employer refuses to
employer her, then the ADA has been violated.

Respectfully,

Russell J. Thomas, Jr.

THOMAS & ASSOCIATES

Orange County Office