[blindlaw] Question About Rental Discrimination

William ODonnell william.odonnell1 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 30 01:29:17 UTC 2009

Thank you for posting.
I offer the following advice:
[1].	Research the local town/city policies on renters and percentage of units for the disabled.
[2].	IN New York City, a publicly rented building is required to offer a percentage of units to low-income, the disabled, and seniors.  To be exact, a renter who owns more than five physical units or properties must keep a percentage of those units for those special populations.
[3].	Private landlords are not required to follow any rules since there renting a single unit within there house.
[4].	lastly, see which local political representative serves your area as well as a local Independent Living center (ILC).
[5].	Treat this like a job hunt always prepared to sell yourself bad most importantly, have someone sighted go with you to insure that what you are being offered is legitimately for the taking and you are not being sold or forced in to something falsely for someone’s greed.
[6].	If you secure a rental place, insure that you document all agreements so a potential landlord can not turn around and tell you that you are unable to have a guide dog on the property for example.