[blindlaw] Question About Rental Discrimination

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 31 19:29:44 UTC 2009

being that you have a disability and specifically being blind you don't
realize the fears and myths that sighted people have about blindness and the
misunderstandings that the sighted have about how blind people are able to
function. We know that for sighted people vision is the most used factor in
a person's life and many sighted people cannot fathom how a blind person is
able to do anything without the use of vision. It is not a question of
mental illness or anything like that, it is a question of lack of exposure
and information that is logical. I frequently have had to explain to many
people that blindness is actually an easier disability to accommodate or
adapt to as physical barriers do not need to be overcome or the blind person
is not isolated because they cannot hear or participate in conversations
around them, etc. Much of our job as Federationists is to constantly educate
people and not jump to conclusions that because a person makes an uninformed
statement regarding the blind or asks questions about how blind people
function they are mentally ill. The fear factor is very prevalent on the
part of many sighted people when it comes to losing their sight which is
discussed in many classes in the counseling professions which is off topic
for this list.
Chuck