[blindlaw] ADA and Air Travel

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 13:55:58 UTC 2009

A couple of my blind friends and I are avid cruisers - we try to go at
least once a year, and Carnival is our cruiseline of choice.  In 2007, they
refused to allow us to sign up for a scuba diving excursion because of our
blindness - they said we'd be dangerous to other scuba divers.  This was
absurd for all the obvious reasons and because we're all strong swimmers  and
most of us are accomplished scuba divers.  Carnival said that since  they
contract with local venders to provide the excursions, and since those  venders
aren't in the United States, then the ADA does not apply.  We tried  to
educate the cruise line, and I think they got it.  But the scuba diving
contract holder did not and would not let us participate no matter what we  said.
I wish we'd have fought harder.

That same year, we had a lot of trouble getting the onboard materials in
Braille or electronic formatting.  We followed up with Corporate, and by  the
time we arrived for our 2008 cruise, everything had been sorted out to our
liking in terms of materials.  They now will send you a CD with menus,
guide books, and all the other material that's in the state room, and they'll
either Braille out the daily newsletter or put it on a flash drive for  you.

In terms of excursions, we just always find an outside vender ourselves
now.  We can discuss blindness beforehand if we want, and we end up not
feeling beholden to the cruiseline for our fun off-ship.  And we save a lot  of
money in the process.

My point is that I'm not sure if the cruiselines are all totally accessible
 now, but I think Carnival is doing a much better job then it used to do.
Also, I have no idea if the contracting venders in the ports are
discriminating  against blind people - I bet they still are.

Ronza

In a message dated 12/3/2009 2:36:49 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,