[blindlaw] ADA and Air Travel

Chris Danielsen cdanielsen8 at aol.com
Fri Dec 4 00:08:36 UTC 2009

Interesting observations about Carnival.  When I went on the cruise that was
organized by the NFB of Colorado in March, we had all of the Braille
materials in our cabins. Our waiter was very nice about reading the menus
each evening, even though he didn't speak English that well. I will
definitely ask for the menus on CD next time. Also, I wasn't aware there was
any way to get the daily newsletter, so I'll be sure to ask about that the
next time I go. And I do intend to cruise again. When I was booking tours,
the guy at the desk casually informed me that he would let the tour
providers know that I was blind. This raised a red flag with me and I asked
him why. He said it was to make sure that the providers could accommodate
and that there would be no access issues. I explained that blind people have
very few "access issues" and that he was giving the providers an opportunity
to discriminate. I probed him a little on whether he thought there were
certain things a blind guest couldn't do. He informed me that he had seen
blind guests participate in all kinds of activities, I think he specifically
mentioned cliff diving, and was not trying to discriminate. I let it go.
None of the providers I did tours with gave me or any of the other NFB folks
any problems, and I did not hear from other NFB friends about any problems.
Of course, the tours I went on were not particularly strenuous; I am a wimp.
I had some concerns about the dolphin encounter, but that went fine. In
fact, the trainer even made a point of letting me and a friend touch the
dolphin's teeth while he held her mouth open (they normally discourage folks
from touching the mouth.) He didn't let us touch the nose or blowhole, which
are off limits. I plan to try swimming with dolphins next time; the dolphin
encounter is when you are on a shallow platform and the dolphin swims up to
you. All of the Carnival folks were extremely friendly and I think they were
trying to do the right thing. I came away with a mostly favorable impression
of the company, although it still concerns me that they "flag" disabled
guests even if they really are doing it only to make sure that the guest has
a good experience. I am sure that some contractors do discriminate, and
while Carnival is of course protecting itself, I wonder if they have a legal
point. Other countries do not necessarily have the disability laws that we
do in the USA, and once you are on shore at a foreign port of call I am not
sure U.S. law would "reach" businesses there. It reaches foreign cruise
lines only because their ships have ports of call in the U.S., if I
understand the law correctly. Carnival could make a point of not contracting
with vendors who discriminate, however, and that would make a difference.

Chris