[blindlaw] job discrimination

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 25 12:10:13 UTC 2009

I have neer understood the relationship that seems to exist in the
minds of sighted people between blindness and needing preferential
seating.  Mere blindness alone would not cause any such need, that I
can figure out, but another disability that affects walking, balance
or whatever might.  Why must a blind person sit in a certain area of a
theater, or board a plane first, or not sit in an exit row?  If the
argument is, "It will take you longer to find your seat because you
can't see," that's plainly absurd, as anyone who's observed someone
trying to find their car in a parking garage will attest to.  So, why
am I bombarded with requests that I stick out like a sore thumb by not
only having someone lead me about by the hand, but also having that
someone make sure I'm all safe in my special little seat?  What gives?