[blindlaw] Homework Accessibility?

Alex heyitslu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:50:40 UTC 2009

I posed these concerns and questions on the Blind Parents' list but
thought I would post here as well for additional advice.

I am a blind, single mother of an autistic, four-year-old boy
currently attending a special education pre-school program at an
elementary school.  He will enter Kindergarten in the fall.  Because
the school for which we are zoned does not have a pre-school program,
he is currently attending out of zone.  I am trying to move into that
school zone, but with the housing market being what it is, I am not
sure that the move will take place before the beginning of the
2009/2010 school year.  the pre-school teacher provides e-mailed notes
regarding my son's progress when I ask for them and sends exercises
for homework when appropriate.  the speech therapist is willing to
work with me to make homework accessible; however, we are having some
difficulty with coming up with a way to label pictures.  There is no
Vision rehabilitation Teacher at this school and may not be one in the
school system (no one seems to know).  My concern is that I will be
the one responsible for assisting my son in completing homework
assignments.  although he is verbal to a degree, he is not able to
tell me with any accuracy the events of his day or relate a story.  He
is reading some but not enough to read a homework assignment.  My
questions are:

Is the school system obligated to make homework assignments accessible for me?

If so, under what law?  (the pre-school teacher has been thinking of
putting my son under 504 to ensure that progress reports, IEP's, and
homework will be provided to me in an accessible format.  Is this the
best option?  If not, what is?

what type of language needs to be in the IEP to ensure accessibility
for me as the primary care giver?

This really needs to be tight because the school for which we are
zoned is not known as having a great special ed program.  The IEP will
be written in March.  thank you for any advice and reccomendations.
Lucy