[blindlaw] SSI payments

Angie Matney angie at mpmail.net
Thu Feb 26 23:19:25 UTC 2009

Deferring a loan for an SSI recipient until that person has a job is not a "pass card." BTW, people other than blind people get SSI. SSI is not something that can be garnished because its purpose is to help people meet their basic necessities so that
they are not starving out in the street. On the other hand, SSDI is like an insurance payment (that's actually what the "I" stands for in SSDI, but not in SSI). Someone could win the lottery and still continue to receive their SSDI payments. That is why
SSDI can be garnished.