[blindlaw] 6th Court of Appeals told lower course toreviewcasein light of ADAAA

McCarthy, Jim JMcCarthy at nfb.org
Fri Feb 27 13:40:43 UTC 2009

We are spending a lot of time deciding if we would or wouldn't have this person perform medical services on us.  Though that may be an interesting discussion regarding how comfortable we with blindness are with people having our disability or other disabilities performing complicated procedures, that is not really the importance of the case.  As to Chuck's question, I think the person had a learning disability that he asserted caused him to process read material slower than others and required extra time as a result.  The original decision, I think, was that he did not have a disability under the ADA so there was no requirement to consider his request.  The decision of the 6th circuit was that because of the ADA amendments, it is clear that he has a disability.  Now the question is whether or not he should be accommodated in the manner he wants.  He has not won yet and he might not.  The arguments going forward will be many of those we are having here.  Maybe someone who is slow at reading or processing is steady as can be under surgical conditions or other high stress conditions of the practice of medicine and maybe too the person is competent to complete the school education and will do a type of practice not so high stress performance.  Perhaps the test advocates can argue successfully that performance of the test under those time limits really is a critical factor.

Many of us on this list never had to take the LSAT at all.  Others of us who took it did so with accommodations like extra time.  Perhaps still others had no time accommodations at all.  Those who are practicing an those who went to law school know that reading is a big part of what you do in school and in practice.  Many got extra time or did not have to take the test at all, and yet I think most of us believe that it would not be correct practice despite some cases to the contrary to seek extra time from judges because of blindness and whatever challenges we think that might cause.  There is an obligation to represent your clients completely regardless.  I guess my point is that the career expectations should be the same for people with or without disabilities.  This guy may or may not get the chance to take the test the way he thinks he needs and I guess we will see.
Jim McCarthy