[blindlaw] 6th Court of Appeals told lower course toreviewcasein light of ADAAA

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 02:18:06 UTC 2009

Jim,

While I agree with you that we should not be asking for extra time in
the workplace or things such as that, the university setting poses
some unique challenges that warrant additional accommodations that we
would not utilize in our careers.  Namely:

1. Use of aids and adaptive techniques.  In the workplace, we can and
will use what our employer provides, and whatever else we can attain
for ourselves.  In the university setting, you will use only what the
university deems is appropriate.  Even when they determine that a
desired accommodation is appropriate (reader, for example), they will
generally not allow you to use a reader you have trained and work
well with in the name of academic integrity.

2. Policy considerations.  When I began at Western Oregon University
in 2007, I was told that the university faculty were prohibited from
providing disability accommodations of any sort to students.  Union
contracts state that this Bargaining Unit work was the responsibility
of the appropriate employees and may not be performed by anyone else.
Textbook publishers, in addition, will send electronic textbooks to a
DSO, but not to a student, regardless of the student's disability and
willingness to demonstrate it.  Such policies generally do not exist
in the workplace, and any effort you can take to reduce or eliminate
the effects of your disability without your employer's involvement is
almost universally regarded as a positive trait.

3. Deadlines and time limits.  While these exist in the real world,
they're far more arbitrary in academia.  Life doesn't usually present
multiple choice questions, and you aren't asked to choose the best
one based on the text.  Instead, you must determine the best answer
you can based on what you know, and apply it.

4. Basically good work versus point thresholds.  Academia is full of
cases where you must make a certain point cutoff to satisfy some
requirement (such as a particular letter grade), and there is a
significant consequence to a B+ versus an A-, even if that
consequence is caused by a point representing 0.2% of the grade.  In
the workplace, you're generally doing what you should be doing, or
you aren't.  Even performance evaluations are geared toward that
question.

I think I would accept extra time on the LSAT since I won't know
until I show up to take it what sort of hoops I'll have to jump
through at the last second to actually be able to take the thing
since in the so-called real world, even if my deadline is tomorrow at
9am, I still can take my work home and do whatever I have to do
tonight to get it done.  That's not an option with high stakes
testing.

Joseph