[blindlaw] Fw: Accommodation and Complianceseries:TheADAAmendments Act of 2008

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 4 05:01:28 UTC 2009

While medical records can carry some weight the idea is to get away from
defining disability according to the medical model as it excludes people who
may have long standing existing disabling conditions where they may not be
under the care of a doctor. I personally had a difficulty with thiswhen
several years ago I was required to furnish proof of blindness for a
disabled transit pass. As my blindness was congenital and I did not have a
regular doctor this process was a bit difficult. At that time I was
receiving SSDI benefits and they accepted the fact that I was receiving
Medicare as proof of disability. With our health care delivery system the
way it is there are many people that do not have a regular doctor that can
cater to these requests. Another attempt to get away from this model was the
implementation several years ago of "functional job analysis" which measures
the difficulty that a person has performing basic functions, e.g. seeing,
walking standing, etc. Chuck