[blindlaw] Question

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 15:57:33 UTC 2009

Of course Kurzweil has similar features, specifically because these
things are so common.

Incidentally, the Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners (at least the S1500 and
S1500M for Mac) come with the full version of Adobe Acrobat Pro, as
well as with a limited (ScanSnap-generated PDF only) version of ABBYY
FineReader set to just do its thing automatically.

I point it out because a lot of lawyers get really excited when they
see the ScanSnap in action.  If ScanSnap Manager for Windows can be
used with JAWS/WE, it's about the best line of document scanners on
the market.  It doesn't do books unless you chop them up, but its
purpose is to scan documents--both sides at once, twenty sheets of
paper per minute.  *grin*

Personally, I don't see ScanSnap Manager's document manager as a big
loss if it's difficult to use with a screen reader.  My thinking is
that you'd grow out of it pretty quickly anyway and need to move on
to a real document database system.  Fujitsu's grown-up document
manager for Windows is Rack2Filer.  There are about a dozen competing
document management tools to choose from on the Mac ranging from free
to about $130 for something like DEVONthink Pro Office (which is how
I OCR'd RJ's PDF for him..)

Joseph