[blindlaw] The Census does not track the blind

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 19:44:06 UTC 2009

James,

Collecting different data in only some locations is by definition
INVALID.  You want descriptive statistics.  That's what the census
is, descriptive statistics.  Unlike inferential statistics, where
predictions of whole populations are taken from small samples and
mathematics are used to determine the probability that those
predictions are true, descriptive statistics are hard data.  The
census is hard data for the entire population of the United States.

Statistics on SOME people who are blind cannot be done.  Neither can
it be MOST people.  Unless it is 100% of the population (or much
greater than 99% that the census bureau has determined to be close
enough because of the cost and logistics of ensuring that every
single man, woman, and child is properly counted), then the statistic
cannot be part of the US census results.

If 10% of the country has been surveyed already, it's far too late.
In fact, if even 1% of the country has been surveyed, it would be too
late.

You are single-mindedly pushing for and advocating a lie, claiming it
to be a civil right.  You have rejected rational explanation of why
what you insist must be done in fact cannot be at this time.  Your
only defense of your position is that it must be possible, though you
have no plan for actually doing so.

I tell you flatly that it is not possible without an immediate halt
to census-taking and a purge of all data collected to date, followed
by a media campaign to inform everyone that census data must be
re-taken in any area that has already been surveyed.  My guess is
that it would cost hundreds of millions of dollars to do that at this
point.

The train has left the station.  You weren't on it.  The world will
not turn back time so that you can board before the final whistle.

Joseph