[blindlaw] Request for laptop during essay section denied

Patrick H. Stiehm stiehm.law at juno.com
Sat Jun 13 21:46:16 UTC 2009

Dear Angie,

It sounds like they are trying to accommodate you.  It may not be
satisfactory yet, but I can assure you that they are doing better than
some public agencies in Virginia.  Permit me to make suggest three things
to you, as follows:

1.  Think about doing it with a court reporter.  This is not like
dictating to someone across the desk from you.  A court reporter, is
suppose to be able to do a verbatim transcription as normal talking
speed.  It should be like taking a test where you answer the questions
orally.  Make sure that the permit you to have your answers read back so
you can make corrections and change your answers to the extent you need
to.  You may or may not need to have extra time do that.  In any case ask
for it.

2.  Fully document the problems you for see with the method they want you
to use and offer solutions, if you can.  This will get you much farther
than to threaten litigation right out of the gate.  After all you can
always use that option, later if you have to.

3.  Ask for the names and contact number of any successful blind
applicants who have taken the test as they suggest, so you can talk to
them and learn from their experience.    You never know what you might
find out, one way or the other, that will be of help later.

In any case good luck and let use know how it works out.

Patrick H. Stiehm
Stiehm Law Office
Alexandria, VA 22309
703-360-1089 (Voice)