[blindlaw] Purpose of the List

Ford, Tim (CDPH-OLS) Tim.Ford at cdph.ca.gov
Tue Jun 16 18:00:47 UTC 2009

My humble observation is that we have two completely different scenarios
when non-lawyers/law students are participating on this list.

when someone who is not a lawyer or law student is involved, they
sometimes are genuinely asking for advice or guidance, and essentially
it is like a client consultation.

The other situation is when the person is not interested in our advice,
but is instead interested in a debate on policy or social grounds.  It
is this latter situation that I believe we need to better control,
because it tends to go around in circles, generates a ton of notes,
often turns heated, and is of limited interest or value to those of us
who are interested mainly in the direct legal aspects of life.

Just my opinion of course, but I think we need to seriously consider how
to help keep the list more towards its intended purpose.  Recently I
have come close to unsubscribing from the list, simply because there is
way too much traffic on tangential or unrelated notes, and it takes too
much time to read through all the strings looking for the pony.

Sincerely,
Tim Ford