[blindlaw] Fw: Reading Rights Coalition UrgesAuthorsto AllowEveryone Access to E-books

Chris Danielsen cdanielsen8 at aol.com
Tue Mar 31 22:08:55 UTC 2009

Jack,

Both are problems. First, one simply shouldn't have to register to read a
book that one has paid for. Nobody else has to. Blind people do have to
register for library services and special distributors like Bookshare, but
even our sighted friends have to get library cards. But when they go to the
bookstore, all they have to do is pay for their book; it should be the same
for us. The second issue, having to identify oneself as having a disability,
is also nontrivial for some people. For one thing, not all reading
disabilities are linked to an organic cause, putting the applicant in the
position of having to "prove" the disability. For another, there are still
places in this world where identifying oneself as having a disability can
cause one to be instantly ostracized, possibly even institutionalized.

Chris