[blindlaw] FW: Metro bus users - opportunity for comment

Norman, Gary C. (CMS/CBC) Gary.Norman at cms.hhs.gov
Thu May 28 13:21:45 UTC 2009

This may be of assistance.  See below.

Gary

From: Nancy Pineles [mailto:nancyp at mdlclaw.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:44 PM
Subject: Metrobus users - opportunity for comment

People with disabilities who use Metrobus may want to read the
information below about new electronic signs that will be posted at some
Metrobus stops.  Call WMATA at 202-962-1051 and speak with Steven
Taubenkikel, Cathy Asato or Lisa Farbstein.

Here is a link to the news story:
http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/PressReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=2
587

2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzE2MDAyOTEzBGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTAxMzUwMARtc2dJZAM
yNDE2BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNDM0NDA4ODE->

Posted by: "Haydee De Paula" haydeed at arcmontmd.org
<mailto:haydeed at arcmontmd.org?Subject=%20Re%3AMetro%20News%3A%20Next%20B
us%20signs%20posted%20at%20bus%20stops>   hmmdp
<http://profiles.yahoo.com/hmmdp>

Wed May 27, 2009 7:38 am (PDT)

Good News!

"Metrobus customers will be able to get real-time bus arrival
information on Metro's Web site, by telephone or from electronic signs
installed at select Metrobus stops."

I just received this from the Metro Newsletter (Link and complete pasted
press release below). I am thinking of individuals with disabilities,
mainly students who are being travel trained to use the public
transportation system independently. I suggest families, transition
teachers, job coaches and counselors, should consider the impact this
service can have in the lives of individuals they support, as they
advocate for them.

I suggest we call them to ask Metro if it is possible to have signs on
some bus stops where people with disabilities wait for buses. That would
be very useful to them if they missed the bus, or when the weather is
bad, so they can get prepared or make alternate decisions and
arrangements, and not only wait forever without knowing what is going
on.

I just called them and shared the experience of my own son and other
people I know to tell them how wonderful this new service can be for
individuals who depend on public transportation and are being trained to
use specific lines. I also ask them to consider giving priority to have
these services on these specific stops individuals with disabilities
need it most, to make it easier for riders to have an idea if they just
missed the bus, or if they need to ask for help when the weather is bad
and buses are too late for them to make it to work, etc...

If you have a moment, please do the same. Please consider sharing some
real stories of people with disabilities you know would benefit from
this service.

Please share this with others. Thank you!

Media contact for this news release: Cathy Asato or Lisa Farbstein at
202-962-1051

Thanks,

Haydee

Haydee M. M. De Paula, Ph.D.

Support Services Coordinator for Adolescents

The Arc of Montgomery County

301.984.5777, Ext. 275, Fax: 301.816.2429

Hdepaula at arcmontmd.org <mailto:Hdepaula%40arcmontmd.org>