[blindlaw] outlining method- maybe an oddball idea

Johnston withat at msn.com
Sat Nov 14 02:43:41 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone who sent me ideas for outlining.  Bruce, your ideas about K1000 were especially generative.  I realized that it would be easiest (for me) to comprehend an outline if it were in the tree format that is used to expand/collapse folders and subfolders in Kurzweil's Save As window.  Each level would represent a certain heading level, and opening a branch would display its subheadings.  It would allow tracing of paths like a flow chart.  Has anyone else thought of or tried using something like this?  Is this something that could be done in Excel?  I'm not super proficient at the program, but would have no clue how to construct a database (perhaps the alternative).

Using the search feature in Word to jump from a specified heading to the same specified heading is fine, except that it is a one-trick pony unless altering the search.  Using the move by paragraph operation is good for moving step by step, but it doesn't allow easy comprehension of the big picture; JAWS doesn't even do a great job distinguishing between Roman and Arabic numerals.  Kurzweil might be a better option for creating a standard outline, but it will take some getting used to losing the 10 digit keypad for navigation.  So far, I've only used the program for OCR, and save the files to Word for reading.

Thanks again!

Jay