[blindlaw] outlining method- maybe an oddball idea

Robert Munro r.g.munro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 19:52:22 UTC 2009

I had trouble with roman numerals too during my 1L year, both in the
outlines I prepared and in textbooks.  Here's how I dealt with the issue.

To have JAWS distinguish between Arabic and roman numerals, Open your JAWS
default dictionary and create definitions for the roman numerals.  Here are
some things to keep in mind when you do this.

1.  Have JAWS say "roman two," or something similar, for roman numeral two,
"roman three" for roman numeral three, ETC.

2.  Make sure your definitions are not case sensitive; that way, JAWS will
catch both big and little roman numerals.  Of course, you could create two
sets of definitions, one for big roman numerals and another for little ones,
with JAWS saying "big roman two" and "little roman two" respectively.  I
chose not to do this.

3.  Skip roman numerals that consist of only one letter: I, V, L, X, C, D,
and M.  These pop up too often in normal text.  It will only confuse things
if JAWS is treating them as roman numerals instead of letters.

Good luck prepping for exams.  I hope my comments have been helpful.

Onward!

Rob Munro