[blindlaw] Issues in attending court proceedings alone as blindattorney?

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Tue Nov 24 00:06:36 UTC 2009

I have learned a great deal about technology in regard to this particular
inquiry on this list.
However, I am perhaps older than many of you and felt that maybe some of my
old-fashioned tactics might be of some small value or use to those on this
list. Of course, others like Scott or Noel are true pillars of wisdom, and
I'm sure they have their own ways of doing things in a court room setting
that are just as, or more effective than nmine.
When I am in a court room, I bring a particularly trained pair of eyes with
me when I go to hearings. Truth be told, only courtroom hearings. Not the
many administrative tribunal hearings I attend these days. I am so
accustomed to those particular  settings that I do not need or want any
"eyes" with me. But court roomm hearings, be they in State or Federal court,
are very different.
 The reasons are, as you may expect, visual in nature. I want to know the
reactions and cues that can come only from a visual awareness of my
surroundings.
The reader is trained by me to use unobtrusive signals for me so that I know
what is going on around me. She will cough, tap a pencil or touch my foot
with hers for the specifics that I have trained her to be aware of. I want
her to note such things as surprise, scowling, distaste, or if I am being
ignored or not. I want to know what is going on at the other counsel table
and what the reactions are to my evidence.
When evidence comes my way, I want either the short hand version of it, or,
if it is a totaly unexpected piece of evidence, what it is by heading or by
chapter - and that is one of my methods for training "eyes" for a court room
hearing -  'outline unexpected evidence for me so that I can focus in on
what I really want to know.
However, I mention this only because I am lucky enough to have a pair of
eyes that are trained to my preferences. IE: they do things my way. I insist
on that. That is my client up there, and things will be done my way. Of
course, that also means that I exclusively own any malpractice that may come
down on me as well.
Thus far, it has served me pretty well in court rooms in the two states
where I am admitted to practice.
  However, I began my practice before much of the technology currently in
use became reliable, or as small as it is now.
I end by stating without doubt that, my way of doing things is most
certainly not for everyone. Each attorney must be at ease with his or her
personal way of dooing things or you will not be effective in a court room.
Beyond that it is as we all know, 90% preparation and 10% inspiration.
This is how wwe each earn our own professional reputation, gray hair  and
stomach trouble.
(I didn't know they made scanners that darn small)

 Hope this helps out some.

Ross