[blindlaw] Pre-Interview Questionnaire

WB mruniverse08 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 19:37:34 UTC 2009

Recently, I went on an interview with a law firm.  There was a pre-interview
questionnaire that was to be filled out when you go to your interview
appointment.  I was not able to complete this before meeting with the
attorney.  On the form, it asked if you have impairments to hearing, vision,
etc.

As I was unable to fill in the form before my meeting, the attorney and I
discussed my vision impairment and assistive technology during the
interview.at my initializing of that piece of conversation.  The banter back
and forth regarding this issue seems to have gone well.

My question is, are companies allowed to bring up a disability or do we have
to bring it up first to be covered by the ADA?  I was under the assumption
that we do to cover ourselves.  I was curious since the question was posed
on the pre-interview form and from what I can tell, these disabilities are
not a detriment to the particular position they are attempting to fill.

Please note, that this firm has not given me any particular negative vibe
regarding disability.  I'm simply asking for future reference.