[blindlaw] West Publishing

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 21:09:41 UTC 2010

James said,
West publishing owns their book.  Unless you want to seize people's
property, then if they want to sell the product then that is up to them!

Marc says,
Is it up to them if they don't want to sell their books to black people? If
you decide to sell your goods to the public, their are constraints placed on
you.  Someone may own a restaurant, but ownership does not mean that she has
no obligation to make the restaurant wheelchair accessible.  I think it's a
legitimate argument to say that publishers who sell their books to the
public have obligations to take reasonable steps to make their products
accessible to people with print disabilities.  If taking these steps
constitutes an undo hardship, which you seem to imply, then that's another
question, but insisting on reasonable accommodations is not the same as
seizing property.

Regards,

Marc