[blindlaw] West Publishing

Marc Workman mworkman.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 16:34:02 UTC 2010

James said,
You don't have to buy their book, you can use other sources.  They are not
providing a necessary service.

Marc says,
You don't have to come into my restaurant.  There are other restaurants with
ramps.  I am not providing a necessary service, so I have no obligation to
make my restaurant accessible.  Would you accept this argument?

James said,
What is a reasonable accessibility?  That is not defined.

Marc says,
My guess is you meant reasonable accommodation, but the fact that it is not
defined does not mean service providers are absolved of all obligations.
This is why courts, human rights tribunals, legislators, and so on exist, to
define and clarify concepts like reasonable accommodation, undo hardship,
discrimination, etc.

James said,
Why should anyone help you if they are not going to be paid to help you.
People have other things to do than to work on making content free to the
blind.

Marc says,
Why should I build a ramp so you can get in my restaurant? I have other
things to do than to build free ramps for wheelchair users.

James said,
This is an extremely time consuming effort, it is not easy and you want it
for free.  If there is no incentive to help you other than the sense of
trying to do something good for people and when people like you are
demanding that they do this stuff with no reward then you get what you have
today, nothing complete, content that is partially accessible deemed to be
accessible.

Marc says,
Building ramps is an extremely time-consuming effort.  It is not easy, and
you want it for free.  Therefore, I have no obligation to make my restaurant
accessible.  Do you think this is an acceptable argument?

There is, of course, an incentive.  It's a negative one: if you don't take
reasonable steps to make your product accessible, in accordance with the
law, then you will be penalized, and you will no longer be able to sell your
product.  Sounds like a pretty good incentive to me.  If I'm a racist, what
is my incentive to sell my product to people of different races? It is
certainly not to be nice.  My incentive is the same as that noted above: if
I choose to discriminate, then I can't sell my product in America, period.

You can argue that making printed books accessible costs *too* much, that it
*does* constitute an undo hardship.  I doubt that, but for all I know it
could be the case.  What you can't do, at least not if you want to
consistently maintain that unjustifiable discrimination in the market place
is wrong, is say that, because it's expensive, or because it's not easy, or
because I'm insisting on equal access at an equal price, there are no
obligations to take reasonable steps to make products and services
accessible to all consumers.

Best,

Marc