[blindlaw] Mock Trial

Fred Wright Lopez fwlopez at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 22:46:39 UTC 2010

Ms Kennedy
I am recently retired Federal government attorney.   In my career I
did a fair amount of trail work, almost all criminal prosecution in
Federal Court.  I attended the DOJ Trial Advocacy institute and
instructed at the Federal Law Enforcement Center on criminal law and
trial preparationI and testimony for Federal agents and forensic
experts.   I did not lose my vision until my late forties which caused
my early retirement as I no longer met the physical qualifications of
my law enforcement agency.   I know do pro bono civl advocacy work in
Federal Court and with Federal Agencies as well as Regional Centers
for the Developmentally Disabled.    I mention this background to
indicate that my approach to trial advocacy and jury trials has not
changed due to my loss of vision.

Moving About the Court (YOU DON'T)

My comments herein are limited to Federal Courts and agencies.   In
Federal Court attorneys are NOT allowed to move about the court room.
If you need to approach the witness to ask the Judge for permission.
If you want to approach the jury you ask for permission.   If you want
to do anything, you better ask the Judge for permission.   In most
instances, you will have a pre trial conference with the Curt and you
should dvise the Court of any special needs such as equipment,
lighting and handeling physical evidence.   In summary, in Federal
Court you are pretty much stuck at the LECTERN (Never call it a
podium!).   For the vision impaired, I find these rules to equalize or
level the playing field.

Opening and Closing Statements

Never Over Promise your case in your Opening Statement.  The jury will
remember what you said you will prove and if they do not rest assured
that opposing counsel if they are good will remember and use any
failure on your part to deliver as an argument with the jury.

Keep your Opening Simply.   In criminal cases it All About the
Story.   Good Prosecutors tell the sory of what happened not in a
legaistic language that the jury has difficulty understanding but in
simple words that people speak daily.  Your opening is  Who What When
Where and HOw.  This is combined with a few legalistic phrases like:
The evidence will show that Mr. X  willfully / intentionally (dpending
on legal standard) did XYZ.   You need to grab the jury attention and
hold it not bore them with legalistic standards or jargon that makes
them fall asleep.

Your closing argument is a Road Map of where you started and how the
evidence you presented leads to the conclusion that Mr. X is guilty.
Remind the jury of your Opening Argument and what you told them (Never
you the phrse 'I promsied you ...").   If your case is complex, the
Closing Argument is your opportunity to tie everything together, the
witnesses, the evidence and the charges.

Civil Jury Trials

For the most part the rules above also apply in Civil Trials.  The
idifferences are that in a Civil trial the court gives you the
attorney more lattitude to aruge and sometimes move about BUT NOT
ALWAYS.   In a Criminal Case, the Defense Attorney can sit back, after
all its the burden of the prosecutor to prove beyond a reasonable
doubt that Mr. X is guilty.  All teh Defense nees to say is that you
failed to meet your burden of proof an ask fora directed verdict.  In
Civil cases each attorney has to forcefully argue her case and can not
sit back.

Some Techniques to Consider

First criminal trial I ever did as a prosecutor was will a very
attractive U.S. Attorney as lead.  When she showed up for trial she
was dressed down with little make up, looking very plain.  She
explained to me later that she did this because she learned the hard
way that she wanted the jury to focus on the Defendant and not her
looks.   If you are the Defense, you dress up and have your client
always dressed up.   Always be respectful of the Judge, opposing
cousnel and the Defendant if there is one.  Remember the jury is
always watching you.  In crimal cases, the Government is always held
by the jury and the Court to a higher standard.

As a visually impaired trail attorney, I make it a point to speak with
the Clerk and Judge before hand.  advise them of my vision limitations
and what accomodations I will need.  I have never found a "NO" to any
of my requests.  The the contrary, I find the court and Judges to go
out of thei way to assist e.  Even opposing counsels have been
cooperative.

Finally, enjoy the experience and learn from it,  We all make mistakes
but the key is to learn form these mistakes and do better.

Good Luck:

Fred W. Lopez