[blindlaw] Telecommunications Accessibility

Lawrence D. Berger lberger at sfmslaw.com
Fri Jan 8 19:17:55 UTC 2010

Several days ago, there was an inquiry about "telecommunications accessibility," and specifically cell phones.  I know nothing about it myself, but have a friend who is knowledgeable about the issue for people with hearing disabilities, and he pointed me to this web-site

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/dro/section255.html

which turns out to be an FCC web-site relating to Section 255 of the Communications Act which provides that "A provider of telecommunications service shall ensure that the service is accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities, if readily achievable."  As my friend added, the question of what exactly this means "would make a good law review article," but the web-site looks like a good place to start.

Larry Berger
Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLP
mailto:lberger at sfmslaw.com
(610) 891-9880     phone