[blindlaw] touch screen credit terminals at C&K market

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 27 15:46:42 UTC 2010

Hello, list.

I would like legal advice concerning inaccessible touch-screen credit
card terminals currently employed by my local supermarkets.  I shop at
two stores in southern Oregon which use these devices; their only
gesture toward access is a telephone keypad with which to input a
PIN.  In speaking with the legal representative for C&K Market, the
company which runs both these markets, he has told me that the ADA
does not, in fact, cover these, since they are not a federal business
and receive no federal money.  Having no further option, I told him
that I would research the issue, the laws for the state of Oregon, if
any, concerning these touch-screen terminals and get back to him.  Can
someone point me in the right direction, if there is one, as to how I
can get these touch-screens removed or supplemented with a credit card
terminal accessible to a totally blind person?

Thanks for any information you can provide.  Have a great day! :)

Mark BurningHawk
Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
Home:  Http://MarkBurningHawk.net/
Namaste!