[blindlaw] advice

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Mon Mar 22 17:54:17 UTC 2010

Katy, I am totally blind and have been so pretty much since the time I lost
my sight.  Therefore, I cannot directly relate with you other than to say my
wife is in a similar situation.  Sometimes, she carries her cane and
sometimes not.  I have noticed that she usually does take her cane when we
are going somewhere new and plan on meeting new people.  She finds it easier
to explain that she is blind and has some residual vision than to deal with
people thinking she is fully sighted and wondering why she isn't making the
best eye contact or can't see the signs or can't read name tags or whatever.
I think she also takes it because she wants to be able to use it in
unfamiliar locations, especially at night and more especially to deal with
stairs and other things she doesn't see too well.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on which issue you'd rather have.  I think it
also depends on why it is you choose not to carry a cane.  These are
questions with which I cannot help you much.

However, I can tell you that as an attorney, you are very likely going to be
in situations that are pressure packed and move along quite quickly.  In a
courtroom, do you want a Judge or jury wondering why you aren't exactly
acting like the other lawyers in the room?  Would it be easier or harder to
explain that you are legally blind  and that is  why you aren't able to read
things or see objects or whatever?  Or would it be easier to  carry a cane
alerting the judge and counsel that you are blind allowing you to explain
later that you can see some.

Now, I know you sent off your post not wondering whether you should carry a
cane or not but rather asking the question of how  you should explain
yourself.  I guess my first advice is to  speak with others who are
similarly situated.  We have such blind lawyers on this list.  Charlie
Brown, our First Vice President, has quite a bit of residual  vision yet has
always carried a cane.  I am sure there are others who don't.

I wish you luck with this dilemma and I hope we can be helpful.
Thanks,
Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

LaBarre Law Offices P.C.
1660 South Albion Street, Ste. 918
Denver, Colorado 80222
303 504-5979 (voice)
303 757-3640 (fax)
slabarre at labarrelaw.com (e-mail)
www.labarrelaw.com (website)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the designated recipient, you may not read,
copy, distribute or retain this message. If you received this message in
error, please notify the sender at 303) 504-5979 or slabarre at labarrelaw.com,
and destroy and delete it from your system. This message and any attachments
are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.