[blindlaw] Pimp My Cane

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Sun Mar 28 23:57:31 UTC 2010

>From my perspective (and that of NFB training centers), I use a cane for my
 own purposes, meaning I use it to learn about my environment, navigate
curbs and  stairs, avoid obstacles, and generally move through the world
independently.  This aspect has nothing to do with how others recognize the
cane, or else I'd be using an ID cane instead of a long white cane.

However, we are lawyers afterall, and we therefore examine the laws quite
literally.  Thus Joe's question is a good one.  Given that many of us  use
the long white cane to navigate through our environment, using it as a tool
to learn what's in our paths, wouldn't such a tool be effective no matter
what  color it was?  I'd say it would, and Federationists such as Stacy,
Mazen,  and Fatosh who runs the Nebraska Adjustment to Blindness Center would
agree.  However, what are the legal implications of carrying a "long purple
cane" under state "white cane laws"?  That's a terrific legal  question.

I think perhaps you misunderstand why the NFB takes the position it does on
 audible traffic signals and differently sized currency.  Our position on
hybrid vehicles should provide proof that we are not as rigid as you
suggest.  In fact, we believe that certain situations may indeed  necessitate
changes; for example, we lose our ability to travel safely and  independently if
we can no longer gauge traffic through sound, as hybrid  vehicles eliminate
that sound.  We can however use the sound of moving  traffic and other
nonvisual techniques to cross streets (putting aside the issue  of hybrids)
without audible traffic signals.  In fact, many of us feel they  alter the
environment to the point that they are more hindrance than help.   Additionally,
we've been folding money and using other nonvisual techniques for  literally
centuries, and it's worked just fine.  Our point is that we would  oppose
changes to the environment in which we live and do not wish others to  bear
the burden of making changes for us whenever possible.  If a system we  use
works, then why demand that limited government resources be spent on
something that will just make us stand out even more despite the fact that we
don't need it?  We'd rather those resources be spent on providing blind
students with an education equal to their sighted counterparts, to reduce the  70+%
unemployment rate for the blind, etc.

The long white cane is different.  We need it to travel safely and
independently, and it doesn't alter the environment.  The government isn't
spending resources to modify anything for us.  Yes, it is true that the  sighted
world has to recognize what a white cane means.  But they also have  to yield
to pedestrians as a rule anyway, so this is no large burden.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Regards,
Ronza

In a message dated 3/28/2010 5:51:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,