[blindlaw] Pimp My Cane

Mark BurningHawk stone_troll at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 21:39:37 UTC 2010

motorist used to use a cedar walking staff instead of a cane, and was
told by a cop that, if I was ever in a car accident, it could be
claimed that, with my shades on and a staff and not a cane, it could
be argued that the motorist didn't know I was blind and didn't take
extra care.  However, I pointed out that the motorist is always at
fault for not yielding to a pedestrian.  Cop didn't seem to impressed.

So. now we *have* to carry a *white* cane, to define us as being blind
in the eyes of the law.  A case of the symbol becoming the law.  I,
too, would much prefer to use something other than a white cane, in
the event that I didn't have a guide dog...

Mark BurningHawk
Skype and Twitter:  BurningHawk1969
Home:  Http://MarkBurningHawk.net/
Namaste!