[blindlaw] Educating Law Enforcement

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 03:17:38 UTC 2010

Hi Joe,
Much depends on the jurisdiction that you are in. One option is to request a
police supervisor such as a sergeant or contact a shift or watch commander
to address the issue. Here in California I am familiar with a situation
where a guide dog user was not allowed in a store with his dog and the
police warned the business owner that the dog user could sue him and file a
civil rights complaint. The important thing is to know the laws in each
jurisdiction as well as the relevant sections of the ADA regarding public
businesses and accommodations.
Chuck