[blindlaw] Educating Law Enforcement

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 31 04:00:41 UTC 2010

Hi, Joe and all.

When I acquired my dog guide from The Seeing Eye® in 1980 all of us in the
dog navigation training class were provided a copy of the dog guide use
protection clause in the White Cane Act applicable to our respective home
states. I suspect The Seeing Eye® and other dog guide training schools
provide the same service to their graduates. That being the case, the
obvious first step is to carry the document and show it to the officer who
is questioning your right to bring the service animal. If the officer is not
persuaded that s/he has seen the law of the land, the next step is to file a
formal complaint with the chief of police or to follow whatever process or
apparatus is available in your municipal government to launch a public
grievance against the actions of the officer. There is always the option of
taking one's complaint to the "court of public opinion" in the form of
letters to the newspaper editor, contacting a newspaper or TV reporter about
doing a feature on the issue, etc. If these kinder and gentler measures fail
to yield the desired results, filing a law suit against the police
department under Title 2 of ADA or the applicable state anti-discrimination
law may prove to be necessary. One thinng is for sure. Either you will
acquire a reputation in town as a troublemaker or people will learn you are
not a person to be trifled with. Take your pick. In any event, good luck in
these endeavors.

best regards
Rob Tabor, J.D, Vice president, Douglas County Chapter, NFB
of Kansas