[blindlaw] Federal Employment

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Sat May 15 17:53:56 UTC 2010

I want to return to the practice of Law after a long hiatus, and want to
pursue Federal employment under the Obama administration.

Does anyone out there work for a Federal agency who would like to comment
about your route to employment there, your experience of the work
environment, your ease or difficulty in getting needed accommodations, what
you like most and least about Federal employment, or about what you might
have done differently as a blind Federal job seeker or new employee, had you
known then what you know now?

Are there any Federal magistrates, arbitrators, mediators, administrative
law judges, or other hearing officers out there who would be willing to
share your insights?

Does anyone practice in the circuit courts or before the courts of appeals?

I practiced for nine years as an assistant city prosecutor doing daily trial
and appellate advocacy, for three years as municipal advisory counsel to
elected and appointed department heads, working in labor law, city
governance, public disclosure litigation, and information systems
development, for nearly two years as a professional licensing attorney
enforcing my state's version of the Uniform Disciplinary Act, and for two
more years as a state excise tax judge.

I went to seminary after that, and worked as a hospital chaplain, becoming
fascinated by Medicine, clinical ethics, the support and discipline of
troubled healthcare workers, and the rights of patients to
self-determination.  I am applying for admission to an LL.M. program in
Health Law at my state university.

I'd love to hear from any of you.

Thanks,

Elizabeth