[blindlaw] Pomaro to host meeting for blind lawyers

Tom Ladis tom at tomladis.com
Tue May 25 17:01:24 UTC 2010

  Pomaro to host meeting for blind lawyers
  By Maria Kantzavelos
  Law Bulletin staff writer

  Nicholas T. Pomaro is well aware of the difficulties associated with a
tight job market for lawyers looking for work in the current economic
climate.

  But those problems, he said, "are tenfold for a blind person."

  "This is not sour grapes. This is just a reality," said Pomaro, a retired
Cook County associate judge and former prosecutor who is blind. "Blind
people, in general, have difficulty in finding work because, if they are
able to do the work, the natural fears that sighted people have of blind
people - the assumption is, they can't do certain things."

  Pomaro, who has been blind since age six, was told by a school
administrator during law school that he could never be a trial attorney
because he couldn't see facial expressions of witnesses and jurors. He
graduated from The John Marshall Law School in 1964 and for about a decade
before he rose to the bench, Pomaro worked as an assistant Cook County
state's attorney prosecuting criminal felony cases.

  "It's true. I can't see facial expressions; I can't see body language. But
a well-dressed, beautiful woman isn't necessarily truthful," Pomaro said. "I
think I get much more out of voice inflections than other people do. . You
learn to compensate. I lack sight, but I think I've developed other
instincts."

  Pomaro retired from the bench in 2005. Today, he runs the Kane Legal
Clinic located at The Chicago Lighthouse, 1850 W. Roosevelt Road.

  The clinic provides free legal services to blind or visually impaired
people on low-incomes who seek representation in matters such as those
related to job discrimination, social security, tax issues, and other civil
matters, as well as assistance in criminal defense.

  But beginning at 1:30 p.m. on June 3, the clinic is scheduled to be the
place where visually impaired and blind lawyers in the Chicago area are to
meet in an effort to share mutual concerns, as well as to gauge support for
forming a local association of blind attorneys and blind people interested
in pursuing careers in law.

  Pomaro is serving as the meeting's host.

  "The thought was, there are a number of blind attorneys in the Chicagoland
area," he said. "I think many attorneys nowadays are struggling because of
the economy. And I know there are people who are visually impaired and
thinking of the law as a profession. I thought it might be a good idea to
get visually impaired people who are lawyers, or interested in the law, to
discuss problems or issues that are unique to the visually impaired
community and, with those discussions, see if we can help people."

  The gathering will serve as a brainstorming session, Pomaro said, to
explore ideas of how local blind lawyers could network and help one another.

  For example, "I don't know how good of an idea it is, but I have never
heard of a law firm made up of blind attorneys," Pomaro said. "Usually
attorneys have specialties, and maybe you can find three, four or five who
have particular skills in particular areas of the law, and they can form a
loose association and refer cases to each other, or help each other out, or
form a law firm."

  The former judge also hopes the forum will provide inspiration to newer
attorneys who are blind, or to blind people interested in pursuing a career
in law.

  When Pomaro was starting out, he said, "It was very helpful to me to know
that other blind people succeeded in other fields."

  By late last week, Pomaro said, about 20 visually impaired and blind law
students and attorneys responded to his call for a meeting, including
several veteran attorneys.

  "Letting people know that it can be done, that these are blind people who
have made it in these various areas of the law, I think, is helpful to
them," Pomaro said. "We're trying to give people hope. It was important to
me, and I think it's important to everyone to have hope."

  Pomaro pointed out the existence of the National Association of Blind
Lawyers, a membership organization of blind attorneys, law students, judges
and others in the law field that provides support and information regarding
employment, techniques used by the blind, advocacy, laws affecting the blind
and other issues for blind lawyers. But he said he is not aware of an
association for lawyers in the Chicago area.

  Anthony J. Thomas, an assistant Cook County public defender in the Felony
Trial Division, serves as an officer in the National Association of Blind
Lawyers. A local association for blind and visually impaired lawyers to
share resources and expertise, he said, sounds like a good idea.

  "Attorneys who are blind have different kinds of issues with which to deal
than does a sighted attorney," Thomas said. "And, other blind attorneys who
have gone through the process of going to school and getting an education,
and dealing with the job market and how people respond to you in the
practice of law - all those things come into play. And sometimes people can
share information in terms of how to problem solve when certain situations
arise."

  Assistant U.S. Attorney Yusef A. Dale, who was legally blind at birth and
became totally blind at age 23, said there are plenty "tricks of the trade"
that could be shared via a local association of blind lawyers.

  "There are blind lawyers who are practicing successfully out here," Dale
said. "That's one of the reasons this organization is needed - to bridge
that gap and exchange ideas of how best to bridge that gap."

  Blind lawyers, Dale said, generally have a disproportionate difficulty in
getting hired, "Particularly because it's commonly believed, incorrectly so,
that sight is paramount to being a good lawyer because it is so print
driven."

  The federal prosecutor who serves in the financial crimes and special
prosecutions unit in Chicago said being prepared with "all your tools in
your tool box" is key to making it work. Those tools, he said, could be the
technology tools such as computers with Braille keyboards and special screen
reading software, as well as human resources.

  Thomas counts himself among the fortunate ones in that he was hired for
the one job for which he applied after law school. He has been serving in
the public defender's office since 1986.

  "My situation is not typical of most people," he said. "Most people I have
talked to have told stories about how they've interviewed at dozens of
places and have been shut out."

  Thomas has been totally blind since he was 8. Born with glaucoma and no
sight in his left eye and limited sight in his right eye, he was totally
blinded when he was struck in the right eye while wrestling with another
boy.

  As a trial lawyer who appears each day in the Criminal Courts Building at
26th Street and California Avenue, Thomas has an assistant who has been
hired by the county to read and write for him. The assistant also
accompanies him to court, as well as to investigations of crime scenes and
to interviews with clients and witnesses.

  "One of the things that I've experienced in my practice is that many
people who are surprised when they meet me and discover I'm blind, after
they talk to me for a few minutes, whatever feelings of trepidation they
might have had dissipated," Thomas said.

  Thomas said he has mentored many blind people interested in practicing
law. He often finds himself offering this advice: "If you believe in
yourself and if you project a positive, confident demeanor and image to your
client, your client will not see you as a blind lawyer, your client will see
you as their lawyer."

  "What you are doing for the client starts in your mind," Thomas said. "The
client has to believe in you. And the client cannot believe in you if you
don't believe in yourself."

  For more information about the upcoming meeting for blind lawyers and
students, call Pomaro at (312) 666-1331, ext. 3112.