[blindlaw] West Publishing

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Sep 2 16:18:24 UTC 2010

I believe part of the notion that we want publishers to give away work came from the perspective that we are forcing them to pay to have materials
converted into accessible forms.  In some cases, particularly in areas of math and science, making books truly accessible is not easy nor is it all that well-
defined.  It can mean that the tools they use to print a book won't help them at all to make a book accessible.  For some books to be accessible, it is
necessary to have descriptions of some drawings as RFBD and others insert into textbooks.  While I readily admit there is some validity to this concern, I
would also submit that the entire issue of accessibility to printed materials is very new in the scheme of things, and we are still learning.  There needs to be
some give and take as we figure out the best way to follow.  The printing press was the only game in town for the production of materials for more than six
hundred years.  There was no way to automate accessibility for us in that process.  Electronic processing of materials has only been around for perhaps forty
years, and only in the last twenty have blind persons truly had access to computers.  In many cases, accessibility falls out almost automatically from the
process of publishing books but it some cases it doesn't.  In some cases, having publishers take accessibility into account when they are planning rather
than after the fact significantly reduces the effort for any particular book.  I believe that what we are trying to do is to increase the awareness level of how a
little planning can significantly provide us access to books.  At the same time, we are also trying to figure out where the role of the publisher may have to be
augmented by entities like RFBD.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson