[blindlaw] wireless head phone for courtroom

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Tue Sep 21 18:03:15 UTC 2010

Hello Dennis:
The two blue tooth ear pieces I have are both JABRA makes. One is a JABRA
960, and that one is pretty old. I don't think you can buy them any more -
that one has a batterry life of about 4 hours. Messes me up when I'm trying
to work all day in the office, It means I need to plug it into the charger
at lunch time or I will end up being without it later in the day and wearing
a wired headset or listening to JAWS aloud all day. I do a lot of work by
telephone and find the blue tooth wireless ear piece to be very handy. The
JABRA 960 is a bit on the heavy side, for an earpiece that is, and is
slightly larger than the newer ones that are out. Even the old one is less
than the size of your ear and is not very obtrusive at all.
The newer one I have, a BT LHGM is smaller and is lighter - and is very easy
to wear and get used to and is less obtrusive. Remember, these things are
pretty darn small to begin with, so I wouldn't worry about it much.
These are the same blue tooth earpieces that you can use with your cell
phone, so you have an idea how small they are.
I would suggest that  you check around your area in places like Staples
office supply and ask to "see" a few of them. They all seem to come in a
bubble pack, so I'd ask they pull one out for you.  I have made it a
practice to get the kind that has a CD ROM with them so that any software
that might not already be on your computer, is available for loading. this
avoids the online search to find and download the software from some other
web site. Getting the darn things configured with your laptop is the trick,
that is not remotely accessible. What you really need is a computer-savvy
teen ager to help out. If you don't happen to have one of your own, they are
easily found in such places as any computer store or can be very easily
rented or loaned through friends who have one or two at home.
  I usually find blue tooth earpieces  with a USB thing, less than the size
of a thumb drive, that comes with the earpiece,  and gets plugged in to one
of my USB ports. I think they are antennas, but I'm not sure, all I know is
that if I don't have that USB thing plugged in, it won't work right.
I have paid between $150 and $400 for these items. They do range in price,
and they change quickly, very quickly. My new, BT LHGM was bought 2 years
ago and is already considered old. IT still works great, so I'm not in any
hurry to get rid of it any time soon.  So I'm kind of curious to know what
is new that is out there now.
One other thing,  with JAWS, and I use version 10 these days, when a blue
tooth device "connects" with your laptop, some devices will pull jaws in
right away and you needn't do anything other than wait for it to kick in.
Others, once you hear the connection sound, usually your default email
receipt sound, you need to pop into jaws and change your sound card default.
Don't panic about that, if you are using JAWS 10 like I am, pull JAWS up,
tap U for utilities, then O for sound cards and then arrow up or down to see
what kinds of sound cards are listed. If you have a blue tooth device that
you've just turned on, one item listed there will be "Blue Tooth Device"
listed right with the sound cards. If the blue tooth is not turned on, that
"blue tooth device" item won't show in with the sound cards.
I run XP home edition with JAWS 10, and after I'd had the blue tooth operate
a few times, it began picking up JAWS automatically all by itself.
Getting the blue tooth to kick in after you turn it on takes about 10
seconds.
The oddest experience I've had with those earpieces is that sighted people
think I'm on the telephone all the time. Using it as a simple earpiece is a
new experience for those sighted people around you.

 Hope this helps.