[blindlaw] Question about IPhone and Apple:

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Jan 11 13:33:33 UTC 2011

Can you determine if the phone is working at all?  That is, does it make any sounds, can you dial anyone and such?

Do you know how to turn VoiceOver on when the phone is new?  If so, I would find out from Tech support or check
the manual to see how to reset the phone.  As I recall, you can't remove the battery from an I Phone, is that right?
Obviously, removing the battery and reinstalling it is another way to do a reset on many phones.  If you can reset the
phone, then it is worth trying that in case the phone is suffering some sort of software glitch, but it may come up with
VoiceOver off so you need to know how to turn it back on.

I am also assuming you have tried all of the obvious things like checking your volume, seeing if it works with a
headphone and such, and making sure it has a charge.  I know from experience that these kinds of things are
frustrating, but there are just no shortcuts sometimes.  You may have to find someone who can look at the phone or
visit the apple store.  You could see if you are closer to an AT&T store in case someone there can help.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson
.  ,
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 04:41:02 -0800 (PST), William ODonnell wrote:

>I have an interesting question that was presented to me and want an opinion of someone from this list.  I personally
have never heard of this problem in regard to an insurance company or a technical support fee at a retail store.  Sorry
if this is not completely appropriate for the list.  Thank you in advance,
>-Will-
>Does anyone know what to do when Voice Over shuts down on an IPhone and sighted assistance is no ware to be
found?  I live alone. I use a Phone with Voice Over.  For two days I have had no luck communicating with apple to
resolve my tech support issues.  The alarms keep going off and tech support is not that helpful when calling.  I have a
full insurance policy with safe ware communications.  This is now day 3.  Apple support has told me to do things that
require full vision such as checking for the arrows movement on the screen.  What can I do since the insurance
company requires the phone to be stolen to file a claim for a replacement?  What do I do since the local apple retail
store is far away and requires a tech-support fee for turning on Voice Over?