[blindlaw] attention criminal lawyers who work in courts

denise avant dravant at ameritech.net
Tue Jun 21 16:12:21 UTC 2011

Hello,
I am from Illinois. I am currently assigned to the Legal Resources Division of the public defenders office. I work in both the trial and appellate court.
I use lots of technology in performing my job. When i work on briefs, and have arguments before the appellate court and illinois supreme court, I print out my argument and other key points in Braille. I use jaws to research and write petitions, responses and briefs. I also use openbook to scan in some transcripts, though i also receive some of the transcripts from the court reporters office here in town.
i use my Braillenote to load on cases in case i need to refer to them while sitting at counsel table or if i am on the go.
even if i have an evidentiary hearing in the circuit court, i may have my questions or an outline of the direct and/or cross in hardcopy Braille.
I also use a slate and stylus to take a few notes while sitting and listening to questions and answers and arguments of counsel.
of course, i do have a reader assigned to me to read handwritten police reports and any other documents that cannot be scanned.

you might want to think of investing in the openbook peral reading system. the openbook is a scanning reading system, and with the addition of the pearl camera is extremely portable, as it can be plugged into a laptop (usb) and you can scan documents for reading wherever you are. if you use Braille, you may want to invest in the Braillenote or one of the other portable notetakers.