[blindlaw] Concerning the LSAT:

Dittman, Robert rdittman at stmarytx.edu
Thu Jun 23 00:26:14 UTC 2011

Hi RJ,

I read the opinion, and I think the key holding is that the learned Justices said that it doesn't matter the commendations of other cases, that the key point is what works for the individuals who are taking the exam.

Take my personal situation. I am getting ready to take the MPRE this August 5th. I wrote a letter requesting the use of JAWS as when I was in primary school and high school, my amount of vision was such that I could read large print.  I learned Braille after going completely blind at eighteen years of age but never used it as my primary form of literacy. I requested that if JAWS would not be permitted, I would take the exam in Braille but also requested triple time so that I would be able to slowly painstakingly read each question to understand it. I told them that JAWS was my first choice, but as a second choice I was willing to take the exam in Braille and as a third and final choice, in an audio format.

They granted my request to take the exam in Braille with triple time.  So, we both gave a little.
At this point your most likely asking, "Why give them an option?"  Because if I take the exam in Braille and fail it, which I do not believe I will do, or take the Exam using audio and also fail it, my argument, if I were to sue, will be strengthened.  After jumping through all these hoops, I am better able to show for me as an individual JAWS would be the most accessible option and thus the opinion of the ninth circuit is very persuasive.

As a lawyer, even a student one,  whenever I walk into court I must have the strongest arguments supporting my client's position, and be able to present evidence supporting those arguments.  If I were to request JAWS, then sue after being denied without trying the other formats, then I risk this situation.

Lawyer for NCBE "Mr. Dittman is it not true that you have had Braille education in the past."
My response must be "Yes"
NCBE Lawyer" Then why did you not attempt the exam in Braille?"
My response "Because I am unsure if I have the Braille skills to complete the exam in the time given."
NCBE Lawyer, "And yet you did not attempt to take the exam in Braille so you still do not know if your skills would have enabled you to complete the exam in Braille."
My response would have to be "No, I do not know if I do in fact have the skills."
Or,
NCBE Lawyer, "Mr. Dittman Did you explain to the NCBE why the formats of Audio, Reader, Braille, and other factors such as extended time would not work for you?"
My response "yes in a letter."
NCBE Lawyer, "And yet you are unwilling to try them?"
My response "Yes"
NCBE lawyer, "So, you truly do not know if one of the offered forms of accommodation would have been adequate for you to complete the exam."
My response would have to be  "No, having not taken the exam in those offered formats I do not know if they would have worked."

NCBE "Your honor, this case is one in which the plaintiff was unwilling to accommodate the concerns of the NCBE as they contend that the MPRE and MBE are exams that are based on paper and completed with a pencil. The Plaintiff would like this court to grant him the ability to greatly deviate from the normal administration of the exam by using a personal computer without trying the proffered forms of accommodation which may have worked.  The ninth Circuit held that it is the accommodations that work for the individual that concern us in these types of cases, and yet Mr. Dittman's suit cannot answer if these other forms of accommodations would or would have not worked as he failed to give them a chance.

Now, because of the rout I have taken by given the NCBE a little wiggle room or more to the point by negotiating with them, the interaction can be this.

NCBE Counsel, "Mr. Dittman is it not true that you have had some Braille education in the past?"
My response "Yes."
NCBE Counsel "And yet you still maintain that a screen reader is the only form of accommodation?"
My response "Yes"
NCBE Counsel "Will you please explain to the court why you believe this?"
My response "I have taken the exam using extended time, in Braille, and by audio formats. Even despite using all of these accommodations I was unable to adequately understand the call of each question in the time allotted. I would submit to this court that I have been completely fair to the NCBE in working with them to address their concerns. I only ask that they now be made to understand that by the evidence I have presented that the screen reader is the only method that will truly provide me with an equal level field of access.  Accommodations are in place to provide the person requesting them an even chance to complete the task as others without the disability. I have shown that I am more than willing to try the offered accommodations, and now ask the court's support in ordering the NCBE to try my requested form of accommodations. The ninth Circuit held that it is the accommodations that work for the individual that concern us in these types of cases, and given that I have tried all the other offered forms of accommodations and yet still have been unable to pass the exam, then the only just and right remedy left for us is for this court to order the NCBE to grant my requested form of accommodation of a screen reader."

But, we won't have to go that far because I'm going to pass the MPRE and the MBE whatever accommodations they throw at me and get out there and advocate for equal treatment under the law.

This was kind of fun.

Robert D. Dittman
Student Attorney
St. Mary's University, Center for Legal and Social Justice (Civil Clinic)
2507 N.W. 36th Street
San Antonio, TX  78228-3918
Phone: (210) 431-5760  fax: (210) 431-5700
Email: rdittman at mail.stmarytx.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail