[blindlaw] Entering solo practice

Paul Sullivan paul.sullivan416 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 14:09:39 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I am a visually impaired attorney living in the Philadelphia metro
area.  I graduated law school and passed the bar in 2008, but due to
the unfortunate economy, I've been unable to find a job in the legal
field.  For the last few years I've made a living as a working
musician, all the while applying for what few jobs are out there.
Recently, a good friend decided to open his own practice, and he's
invited me to work with him.

While the practice of law is intimidating enough for someone with
limited experience post law school, I'm most concerned about what, if
any, visual limitations I might encounter.

Right now, I use Jaws and can use a CCTV.  However, using a CCTV for a
large quantity of paperwork isn't very feasible for me.

I'm very curious if the attorneys on this list would be willing to
share with me what types of problems they've encountered, especially
in small firm or solo practice, where resources are limited.  What, if
any, technology should I be looking at and considering investing in?
Having worked as a musician for several years, I feel a bit behind the
times in terms of technology.  Any thoughts, especially as they relate
to the practice of law would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Paul Sullivan