[blindlaw] some questions

ckrugman at sbcglobal.net ckrugman at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 1 20:47:00 UTC 2011

Theoretically they could not necessarily use the argument that a person
would be blind. They would have to use arguments saying that the person did
not have the capacity to enter in to a marriage contract as they did not
understand what was involved in marriage. This is done at times where there
has been documented evidence of mental illness or mental retardation. It is
also done in cases where a party to the marriage has not reached the age of
consent. While I don't know the specific circumstances they could make the
argument that the person that you intend to marry is not capable of
providing for you and meeting your needs. Unfortunately families will still
try to try some strange angles to prevent a marriage where there is a
disabled party involved and judges will some times fall for these arguments.
This applies to other matters in family law as well. There was the recent
case where NFB had to intervene on behalf of the couple in Missouri that
were told by Child Protective Services that they could not raise their
new-born infant. This does not mean it would happen in your circumstances
but these are possibilities that can sometimes occur.
Chuck