[blindlaw] With which Immigration Forms are people having the most trouble?

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 12:04:47 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I was able to contact someone at DHS and USCIS and they want to work with
us to resolve the issues with the inaccessibility of USCIS forms.  Can you
let me know which forms are giving you the most trouble and why?

So far I've noticed that there are several common issues among many forms -
 that in general, form fields are often either not tagged properly or are
not  tagged at all, radio buttons are sometimes not labeled, and checkboxes
are  either totally confusing because of incorrect tagging or are devoid of
tagging.  There also appears to be some extraneous form fields beneath the
footer/revision dates of the form, and some radio buttons for certain
questions  are scattered all over the page.  Also, there is no consistency in
whether  checkboxes and radio buttons appear before or after the statement to
which they  apply, so the user is confused as to which is the corresponding
question.   Section headings are often nonexistent, and questions that ask for
multiple  pieces of information about multiple individuals (e.g. list all
children, dates  of birth, addresses, place of birth, gender, etc.) are not
in a tabular  structure so there just appear to be a host of form fields
without labels or  tags.  Finally, some of the tags for form fields are missing
spaces between  words or have improper spelling.

So far, the forms that I've identified with some or all of these problems
are the following:
- Form G-1145
- Form AR-11
- Form G-28
- Form G-325A
- Form G-635
- Form I-130
- Form I-34
- Form I-485

Please let me know the form number and title of the specific form and what
the problem with it is with regard to accessibility.  Please also let me
know if you are aware of any other access issues common among forms to
supplement the list above.

Thanks,
Ronza