[blindlaw] Signals During Oral Argument?

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Thu Apr 5 15:18:55 UTC 2012

Greetings, I have appeared before several federal appellate courts and
others.  I usually work with the courtroom clerk to inform the panel that I
will need some kind of verbal warning which the presiding judge has had no
difficulty in giving.  Beforehand, I prepare what I want to say to wrap up
the argument once I receive that verbal warning.  I also keep track of time
on my notetaker type device, which currently happens to be a Braille Sense
Plus.  On one occasion, the presiding judge said  something like "Mr.
LaBarre, I am sorry.  I know that I was suppose to give you the heads up
with two minutes to go but your time is now up.  So, please conclude."  I
then delivered my closing couple of sentences and sat down.  The point here
is that you need to be agile and ready on your ffet.  This is particularly
important in these types of arguments because you have no idea what the
judges may toss your way.
Best,

Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

LaBarre Law Offices P.C.
1660 South Albion Street, Ste. 918
Denver, Colorado 80222
303 504-5979 (voice)
303 757-3640 (fax)
slabarre at labarrelaw.com (e-mail)
www.labarrelaw.com (website)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the designated recipient, you may not read,
copy, distribute or retain this message. If you received this message in
error, please notify the sender at 303) 504-5979 or slabarre at labarrelaw.com,
and destroy and delete it from your system. This message and any attachments
are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§
2510-2521.