[blindlaw] New list member with a question

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Apr 12 19:12:48 UTC 2012

I realize that this won't help in this current situation in view of later notes.  However, I wanted to
be sure to point out that it is usually not necessary to physically print and scan documents that are
scanned
images.  Kurzweil has a virtual printer that captures the printout in a file that it can process and I
believe OpenBook has something similar.  Some of the other OCr software have the ability to do OCR on a
PDF file directly as well.  OmniPage is one such example as it comes with PDF Converter which can do
this.  This can save a lot of work on larger PDF's that contain scanned images, and it can yield better
results since printing and scanning can degrade the image further.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 17:14:48 +0000, Dittman, Robert wrote:

>Hello Shannon,

>First, welcome to the list.

>Second, I must state at the outset that this is not legal advice nor am I able to represent you in this
matter.  The following is personal help given in the spirit of assisting a fellow blind person.

>You say you are "involved" in a law suit.  If you are represented by counsel, perhaps they or their
staff can provide the documents to you in Ms. Word format.  If you are representing yourself, the
standard "Go talk to a lawyer applies."  That being said, what I do is to print the documents out then
use open book or other OCR scanning software.

>If I may ask, and you do not have to answer, what types of documents are you wishing to have access to?
Are they government forms such as court documents, or evidence provided by one of the parties or
counsel?

>If they are court documents you may wish to call the court clerk to ask if you can get copies in Ms.
Word format. If evidence, then that is a different matter.

>Good luck, and again it never hurts to speak with an attorney if you can do so anytime you are
"involved" with legal proceedings.

>Robert D. Dittman
>Student Attorney
>St. Mary's University, Center for Legal and Social Justice (Civil Clinic)
>2507 N.W. 36th Street
>San Antonio, TX  78228-3918
>Phone: (210) 431-5760  fax: (210) 431-5700
>Email: rdittman at mail.stmarytx.edu

>CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any
>attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may
>contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized
>review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not
>the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail
>and destroy all copies of the original message.

do you all handle gaining access to them?
>Are you responsible as individuals for gaining access to them or is there a provision that the legal
documents be in an accessible format?

>I am involved in a law suit that I want to get more background on and I am finding that the documents
available on the Web and through governmental agencies are mostly in formats that are not accessible
with a screen reader.
>I want to read this information but most of it is scanned and in rather poor fonts for OCR with the
readily available OCR programs.