[blindlaw] Re Witnessing documents as blind lawyer

Ross Doerr rumpole at roadrunner.com
Fri Aug 3 15:47:33 UTC 2012

In the U.S. you can get a differring recitation of what it takes to be a
Notary or JP on a state by state basis.
For example, I'm admitted to practice in New Hampshire as well as Maine, and
the qualification are very, very different.
In N.H. I was a JP and a Notary Public, had to fill out application forms,
get sponsors and be approved by the Secretary of State's office, but it was
done by application.
In Maine, if you're an attorney, you're a notary.  But you can't be  a
Justice of the peace unless a position comes open, and then it is a
combination of appointment and application, and you are usually under the
scrutiny of county authorities. It was a difference of night and day when I
moved from N.H. to Maine. Frankly, Maine made such a big deal out of it that
I haven't looked at their requirements in a long time, so what I state in
this email may no longer be valid.
No matter the State though,  you had better have a pretty good idea that
what is being sworn to is true, or you can get in trouble.