[blindlaw] Research and screen readers

Angie Matney angie.matney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:07:00 UTC 2012

I am not a fan of Westlaw Text at all. It's harder for me to navigate
than other sites, and it doesn't provide the level of detail I need
when search results are displayed.

Except for some random crashes when I try to change my jurisdiction in
WestlawNext, the site is very accessible with JAWS, as is regular
Westlaw. I haven't used Lexis in a few years, but it was just as
accessible back then.

I prefer all of these sites to the text.westlaw.com site. I can do
more with screen-reader keystrokes on Westlaw Classic and WestlawNext.
In JFW, x and shift-x take you to the next and prior checkbox
respectively. This makes jumping between search results a snap. I
imagine WindowEyes has a similar keystroke.

Also, each of these sites displays excerpts from your search results
on the results page. I don't know of a way to make Westlaw Text do
this, which means I have to click on each result to see if it is
relevant--far too time-consuming. If there is a way to have Westlaw
Text display excerpts from search results, I would really be
interested to know about it.

Basically, I have found that it helps to learn about the different
elements on the page of your preferred database and then learn the
corresponding keystrokes for your screen-reader.