[blindlaw] Refusal To Use A Cane

John Sheehan johnrsheehan at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 15:33:27 UTC 2012

Please don't think of this as abuse (Hehehe) but you have to remember that there are a LOT of laws designed to "protect" people - that a pedestrian in a crosswalk has the right of way, that people in wheelchairs get special treatment on public transportation systems, that older folks (in which group I belong) get discounts. I don't think any of these - including ADA provisions - somehow belittle the individuals being protected. I'm sighted - but when I go out with my sleep shades and white cane, I still have people who bump into me and knock me down, despite the obvious signs I can't see. The cane is a notice to others to be careful, as well as a crucial tool for getting around. I use a senior discount card, and have, at times, asked a young person to get up from a seat designated for seniors so I or someone else could sit. In a perfect world, people would take care of and be conscious of one another. It's not a perfect world, so we have laws. And invoke
 them when we need to.

Fr. John R. Sheehan, SJ
Chairman
Xavier Society for the Blind
Web Site: www.xaviersocietyfortheblind.org
154 E. 23rd St
NYC 10010
212 473-7800, ext 119

Help us raise money for the Xavier Society for the Blind just by searching the Internet or shopping online with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo! Free for you - and money for us! Thank you.
Residence:
53 E 83rd St
New York, NY 10028

Room Phone: 212 606-3423 (Note the new phone #)
Cell: 646 853-1820
Blog: www.frjohnsj.blogspot.com