[blindlaw] Managing Documents Using Microsoft Word Track Changes

Farber, Randy rfarber at jw.com
Sat Jun 23 15:35:18 UTC 2012

Karla -

	Track Changes is one way of "red-lining."   Red-lining refers generically to marking a document to show changes.  In the old days, a secretary took a red pen and marked inserts and deletions on a document (hence the term red-lining).  With today's technology the computer can red-line for us.  Track changes is Word's internal method to show changes to a document.  However, there are several programs that can be purchased, such as Deltaview that can read two documents and produce a third document that shows the changes between the two.  These programs are more versatile than track changes, because you can take any two documents, thus giving you the ability to have multiple versions of a document and compare whichever versions you want.  Whereas with Track Changes the changes are cumulative all in one document.

Randy