[blindlaw] 2012 NABL Annual Meeting in Dalls

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Wed Jun 27 15:32:05 UTC 2012

Greetings NABL:

Below  you will find the agenda for this year's NABL meeting.  It is also
attached in Word.  This event is taking place at the Hilton Anatol in
Dallas, Texas as part of the 72nd Annual Convention of the National
Federation of the Blind.  Participants will be able to obtain CLE materials
and a CLE certificate if they wish, for an additional registration fee.
This year, I want to try something a little different.  If you are attending
and want to send us some questions for the speakers ahead of time, we will
see to it that the moderators and speakers have these questions ahead of
time.  Of course, time permiting, we will take questions from the floor as
well.  Please email your questions for speakers/moderators or questions
about the seminar to me at slabarre at labarrelaw.com and I look forward to
seeing many of you in Dallas.

Warmly,

Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.

President, NABL

LaBarre Law Offices P.C.
1660 South Albion Street, Ste. 918
Denver, Colorado 80222
303 504-5979 (voice)
303 757-3640 (fax)
 <mailto:slabarre at labarrelaw.com> slabarre at labarrelaw.com (e-mail)
 <http://www.labarrelaw.com> www.labarrelaw.com (website)

AGENDA

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND LAWYERS

2012 ANNUAL MEETING

-----

Monday, July 2, 2012

Milan Room, Tower Mezzanine

Hilton Anatole Hotel

Dallas, Texas

1:00 p.m.   WELCOME AND MEETING LOGISTICS

Scott LaBarre, President, NABL, Denver, Colorado

1:05 p.m.   SECURING THE RIGHT TO ACCESS INFORMATION:

An International Treaty Proposal    for the Blind and Print Disabled

Justin Hughes, Senior Advisor to the Undersecretary of     Commerce for
Intellectual Property, United States Department of Commerce, Washington DC;
Scott LaBarre, NFB Delegate to the World Intellectual Property Organization,
Denver, Colorado

1:50 p.m.   LAW STUDENTS WHO ARE BLIND: How Best to Insure

the Best Possible Education and Acquire Appropriate Accommodations

Timothy Elder, Esq., Moderator, Second Vice President, NABL, Baltimore,
Maryland; Matthias Niska, 2012 Graduate University of Minnesota School of
Law, Minneapolis, Minnesota; Tai Blass-Tomasi, Second Year Law Student,
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa; Deepa Goraya, 2012 Graduate, University
of Michigan School of Law, Los Angeles, California

2:35 p.m.   FAIR WAGES FOR WORKERS WITH DISABILITIES:

Is There Any Way to Get Them Under     Current Law

Charles Brown, Director of Volunteer Lawyer Services, American Action Fund
for Blind Children and Adults, Baltimore, Maryland

3:00 p.m.   BREAK

3:10 p.m.   AN UPDATE ON THE CASES AGAINST THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF BAR
EXAMINERS

Daniel F. Goldstein, Esq., Partner, Brown, Goldstein, and Levy, Baltimore,
Maryland

3:35 p.m.   AN OVERVIEW OF LITIGATION PURSUED BY THE NFB: How and Why We Do
It

Mehgan Sidhu, General Counsel, National Federation of the Blind, Baltimore,
Maryland

4:05 p.m.   PRACTICING LAW AS A BLIND LAWYER:

How Do They Do It

Ronza Othman, Moderator, First Vice President, NABL, Baltimore, MD; Denise
Avant, Office of the Public Defender, Chicago, Illinois; Michael Nunez,
Staff Attorney, Disability  Rights Advocates, Berkley, California; Mildred
Ann Rivera-Rau, Esq., Acting Branch Chief, Branch I, Agency Oversight
Division, Federal Sector Programs, Office of Federal Operations, Equal
Employment Opportunity Commission, Washington DC

4:45 p.m.   HOW NABL IS CHANGING THE LEGAL LANDSCAPE:

A Discussion of ABA Resolutions, NABL List Serves, and NABL CLE Programming

Discussion Facilitated by NABL Officers and Board

5:00 to 6:30 p.m.  ANNUAL NABL RECEPTION (ticketed event)

Join us for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres as we celebrate the progress of our
organization.  Network and meet your fellow blind attorneys and legal
professionals.